Friday, July 13

Show and Tell Friday

Yay! It's Friday!! Kelli over at http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/ has this great Show and Tell going on. Here's mine...and you should run right over there and check out everyone else's and add yours!

Let's begin with some background. Several years ago, like 14 or 15 years back, I helped my sister out at an estate sale in her neighborhood. An elderly woman had passed away and her son was just cleaning out her house. I decided to buy an entire shelf of paperback books but, as usual, if I get something that doesn't have an immediate use it rides around in the back of my car until I can find the perfect place for it. Well...weeks after that sale I figured out that I didn't even know what books I had gotten! I started flipping pages and about 6 books in I saw it. Someone had cut out a square hole in the pages of a book and there was a piece of tissue paper all crunched up in there. I slowly unwrapped the tissue and found this:

You can't tell from this picture, but it is a sterling silver marcasite ring! Really sparkly. Obviously very precious to someone...they went to a lot of trouble to hide it in that book. But wait...there's more! As I tried it on and looked it over I saw a knob on the side...and then figured out it did this:

It's a Victorian Watch Ring! I felt so badly about having someone else's treasure and tried to return it, but the people had already moved (don't forget, it had been weeks or more) and there was no one in living in the house. So, the way I look at it is that I continue to wear it when I can...yea, it works... and I have certainly given it a much better life than it had inside that book! It is one of my most favorite things and I will be passing it on to my daughter, so it's good life will continue!

That's it from here...enjoy your weekend!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

That is amazing! What a story to share. I have seen things being hid in cut out squares of pages of books on old movies. How neat to read of someone actually finding a treasure like that!

jodi said...

What a great find. And to be enjoyed by the person who found it. Like it was meant to be!

Carole Burant said...

You're making me want to go buy old books now! lol What a wonderful find, I know I would have been so excited to find something like this ring!! A treasure indeed!! xox

Susan said...

Oh what a wonderful find and a wonderful happening. I just love it when I hear of grand things like this that bless some one. I believe those are truly from God.
Susan

theups said...

Wow!! I have never seen anything like this!! What a neat thing to discover!!!

His,
Mrs. U

Linda aka yellowroseli said...

OH my gosh!!! How beautiful. What a find.

Lallee said...

What a fascinating story! I'm glad this treasure found a home that would appreciate it. Neat show and tell!

Anonymous said...

How pretty! I am wondering about the story behind it and what made someone hide it in a book! Too bad we'll never know!

charish said...

what a great story and a neat ring to have found. I thank you for the sharing. Sarah

Kelley said...

What a great story to go with such a lovely ring!

Myrna said...

Your ring is beautiful! The story is amazing. I think you could probably write a novel based on why????? I think romantic mystery! Maybe the book title gives a hint to why the ring is hidden.

Sharon said...

That is wonderful!! How sad it was hidden in an old book and forgotten about, or maybe someone wanted to surprise someone else!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Wow! Now that's a special story attached to a special keepsake! I can tell its very beautiful and a watch too on top of it all! A wonderful fine! Enjoyed your Show and Tell!
Blessings to You!-Claudia O.

jennifer said...

Neat..I can't believe that it was so special to be hidden, but then lost:( or forgotten.

Henny Penny said...

What a lovely ring! How often you must think about what a "life" it must have had...

Enjoy! :o)

Kelli said...

That is so amazing..I loved the story of your beautiful ring!! I can't imagine how excited you must have been to first discover it! If only it could talk!!

Kelli

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What an interesting story! What fun to find a hidden treasure! Thanks for sharing!

Katherine

Anonymous said...

That's such a fantastic find! (And it's so wonderful to have someone find it whose reaction is to want to pass it on to their children, not immediately sell it on Ebay. Some special things deserve more, you know?)

Gina E. said...

Everyone above has said exactly what I was thinking! So I won't repeat any of it, except to say that like everyone else, I am glad that it is yours now because you obviously treasure it as much as the original owner.

SweetAnnee said...

You have the BEST finds!!
oh how absolutely wonderful!