Friday, July 27

Oh Yea!! Show And Tell Friday...

First...please enjoy this Show and Tell and join in! Just stop by Kelli's and check out all of the wonderful things that are being shared all over the world! How cool is that?

Second...a VERY BIG thank you to all of those that stopped by for my angel collection Show and Tell last week. I was sick the first of the week and didn't get back to everyone, but your comments were so kind and appreciated ;) Thank you friends!

This week I want to share one of the most special things I have ever found. I feel like I was just meant to find it...you know how that goes. I got it at an Estate Sale in Miami about 20 years ago and I still consider it one of my very special finds. The sale was at the home of a Dr., but I don't really know anything else about him.

An autograph album that dates back to 1878! The cover is embossed with gold and the owner has her name, Miss Lizzie Kopp, just inside the front cover. Isn't this style of writing/art called flourishing?


After almost 130 years...isn't that amazing...some of the ink has stated to fade, but the penmanship is is a work of art! One of Lizzie's friends did a little drawing, too...

Someone started to write a song...anyone read music?


This guy Fred is in the book more than once...hmmm...who is he, exactly?


....and look at the color of this ink ...from 1880...it's only been 127 years!!!



Are these autographs of close friends or kids at school? This book is continous through 1882, so she had her friends signing the same book for at least 4 years... some from Ohio and some from Indiana...





"Farewell but never from my heart, shall thine image blot, though dreams of other days depart, though shall not be forgot" 1878

I remember the day I found this...and I have read and re-read the pages time and time again. What would this book say if it had a voice? And who are these people and what is their connection to Miss Lizzie Kopp? And, is she the Dr.'s daughter? Wife? Some of this is written within 15 years of the Civil War (my obsession) so were any of these people in the war...or did they have family in the war? The questions are endless. Lizzie, if you're out there reading blogs and you come across this, please know that I will take care of this book, honor you and your friends and keep it close to my heart.

Thanks for stopping by...enjoy your weekend!

32 comments:

Susie said...

What a wonderful find from an estate sale. If that book could talk, it would certainly have some wonderful stories to tell!!
:)

Sarah said...

That is so cool. As someone who used to really be into civil war reenactment, I value treasures from the mid-late 1800s so much. That is a treasure to find! :)

Anonymous said...

This is so up my ally! What a wonderful find!!

Unknown said...

I really enjoy things like that! I have several antique books and even some church minutes from their business meetings back int he late 1800's.

What a treasuer you found!

Anita said...

Incredible, what a real treasure that is! I always adore the tiny handwritings they had in former times.

When I was in Paris in February, this year, I had the luck to find some old vintage postcards that were written at the beginning of the last century! But your book is even better, thanks for sharing!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Susan said...

What a wonderful treasure and Show & Tell. 127 years!!!!
Susan

Kim said...

Very, very interesting. I love the handwriting. Didn't people used to have books in their parlors for vistors to sign? Or am I just imagining that? Maybe this is where your book came from. Thanks for sharing.

Lallee said...

This is wonderful, and the penmanship is just beautiful. I love mysteries like this so I googled Lizzie Kopp--didn't really find anything. Then I tried Elizabeth Kopp Ohio and pulled ups some possibilities. Check it out.

LBP said...

What a great find! The penmanship is just incredible. I wish that book could talk. What a tale it could tell.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Everyone has said everything that popped into my head to say so ditto on all those comments! I too think your find is marvelous...

Marci said...

Penmanship meant so much more back then than it does now. We have lost an art form that was used for every day.

Very nice treasure indeed.

Kelli said...

Oh my, what a wonderful find...I would spend hours looking over the autographs...such *beautiful* writing. I love the quote that begins with "Farewell but never from my heart...." Would you mind if I copied that down into my journal?
Thank you so much for sharing your show and tell with us...a true treasure indeed!

Kelli
P.s. I'm glad you are feeling better!

LadySnow said...

That is so neat! I wish my penmanship was that good! :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Makes me wish I could leave my comment in Calligraphy to you!!

Susanna Rose said...

Wow! What an incredible find and the writing inside is beautiful!

Patty said...

what a wonderful treasure. It looks like many fine examples of Spencerian penmanship found in your book.
http://www.spencerian.com/

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful find!! I wish my handwriting looked half that nice.

hailey said...

Oh my! I envy you to have such a special book! You are probably right, this book was meant for someone that would appreciate it as much as the previous owner did! Thanks for sharing this beautiful book!

Reviekat said...

What a treasure! Some of those writings are so very elegant. Thank you for sharing. :)

Jean said...

What an awesome find. The writing itself is truly art. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! Hope to hear from you again!

Sharon said...

What a great find! I love, Love, LOVE, the writing!!
Thanks for sharing!

Mary L. Briggs said...

What a special thing to find! You'll never find anything else like it. The handwriting back then was truly amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Myrna said...

What a wonderful treasure. People really used to have beautiful penmanship!

I have an autograph book from when I was a child. Trust me, the penmanship and the written comments are not as elegant as in your book! lol

Carole Burant said...

Omigosh, what a fabulous find indeed!! How come I never come across such neat things as this??? lol I would be like you and read it over and over again...I so love the handwriting from those days and I often wonder why we not longer write that way!! Such a beautiful treasure and it would certainly be fun to find out who Lizzy was, as well as those other people who signed it!! xo

Tonya said...

This is so awesome, you are very lucky to own it. It has always amazed me how neat their penmanship and grammar was so long ago. Great find.

Lyndy said...

What a wonderful find indeed. I know you must treasure that for sure.

Thanks for sharing and have a blessed weekend my friend.

Hugs, Lyndy

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Oooh, how special!! The handwriting is so beautiful!

Katherine

Gina E. said...

I can't believe anyone would part with this when it has been in their family for so long! But I'm glad you found it and will keep it safe for more generations to love. I have two autograph books that belonged to my mother and her father. Like yours, they are so different to what we have as autograph books today!

Susie Q said...

This is a true treasure! I am so glad you rescued this and love it. IT would have been such a shame to see it end up tossed away.
Thank you so much for sharing it. I so enjoyed reading about and seeing it!

I am so glad to have been led here and have enjoyed myself! I love your blog name...I knew it would be a sweet place to visit just from the title!

Have a great weekend!

Hugs,
Sue

Pear tree cottage! said...

What a great show and tell, truly a wonder and to think the ago of it now has found its way into very caring hands ((smiles))

I am sure I may never had visited your beautiful blog has I too not joined "show & tell" and feel I must now return time and time again to visit a lovely blog that has so many parts to it that are so close to my heart too.

Thank you for sharing your show & tell and your blog with us here in Australia.
Lee-ann

Stephanie D said...

Wow, what a neat thing you've found! I think yours should be the show and tell item of the week!

Are you going to include the details of how you came by this so your heirs will know the history someday?

SweetAnnee said...

What a most wonderful find of a treasure!!
thanks for sharing...Deena