Thursday, July 19

Angels And Such...Show And Tell Friday

It's Friday and we all know what that means...Kelli is hosting Show & Tell! Do yourself a favor and visit all of the wonderful blogs and see some of the most interesting stuff...and sign yourself up, too.

Cemeteries. Graveyards. Headstones. All of these words seem to send shivers up the backbone of most people, but I am drawn to them in a most unexplainable way. I really am amazed at the art work that went into the older headstones and some of the "newer" monuments just take my breath away. Did you know that you can date an old headstone from the type of engraving? Some of the most unusual and incredible folk art is to be found on old gravestones.


I have many pictures of gravestones and monuments and all of that led to a primitive angel collection...they all have a special place in my home office, so I am going to show you both!



This is an iron angel made just for me by a blacksmith friend.







Here's "The Keeper of the Sheep".




The wings on this one are made from the hearts of vintage snow mats!




These are reproduction castings of gravestone angels.










These are real gravestone castings. One is an angels face and the other has a hand with the finger pointing to heaven and it says "All Is Well".






2 little primitive angels...







My favorite thing! I have no idea how big this is! I got it at an auction and when you look closely, you can see that it is folded. I'm sure the rest of the information about Col. David Payson is on there, but I don't want to take it out of the frame. I would sure like to give this a try sometime...





And this is the sweetest of all. See the feather from the angel's wing?





Thanks for stopping by... have a great weekend!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely! What a nice show and tell!

jennifer said...

Wonderful show and tell. I kept saying to myself oh that is my favorite, then I realized I said that about most of them:)

Anita said...

Oh, that was such a nice "angel tour"!!! I adore all kind of cherubs. It's hart to choose my favourite but I guess it's the iron one on the very first picture.

Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Susan said...

Thanks for showing us your angel collection. I collect angels and have written about some of mine.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful show and tell. Each one kept getting even better. Love them all.

Take care,
Connie
My show and tell is up.

Kim said...

I have always thought there was a strange and haunting (no pun intended) beauty in grave markers. Thank you for sharing your angel collection.

jodi said...

What a wonderful collection. The rubbing is beautifully done no wonder why you don't want to unfold it. Love the last last photo.

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

Thank you for sharing your great collection of angels. I love the headstone rubbing, I always thoughts those were neat.

LBP said...

Another kindred spirit who likes cemetaries. I love to walk thru cemetaries and read the old epitahs. Your angels and really cute.

Mary L. Briggs said...

Love your collection of primitives! I am a cemetary fan, as well. I love to take pics of the interesting grave stones.

Anonymous said...

You have some unique treasures. I love a stroll through an old cemetary. The new headstone-less ones are pretty boring! blessings.

Anonymous said...

Thats neat, I love the one on the COL. Thanks for sharing, You have a nice blog!

Amanda said...

Very nice! You seem to have a thing for angels. :)

Kelli said...

What a wonderful collection! I enjoy looking at old cemeteries and headstones too, especially the historical ones. I really like your iron angel and the feather picture is so sweet!
Kelli

Marci said...

I love looking through old cemeteries. You can find all sorts of wonderful sayings, etc. There are lots around here that are carved to look like a tree with critters, etc.

Anonymous said...

What a nice collection!

Myrna said...

What a unique collection! A good show and tell!

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

wow, I'm impressed! I enjoyed the sights of your angels and rubbings.
thanks for visitng my blog as well, Cassie! Be blessed
blondie

Lyndy said...

How lovely! What a nice show and tell!

Thanks for sharing and have a blessed weekend.

Lyndy

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Nice collection! I love the framed feather with "an angel passed by!"

Katherine

Trudi said...

Very nice collection. I love the one in the frame with the feather.

Anonymous said...

Great collection! I like the last one with the angel wing!

Gina E. said...

That is quite a unique collection! I'm with you on your favorite; I would have been tempted to take it out of its frame (very carefully)as soon as I got it home, to see what else was in there.