Friday, September 28

A Message from the Hub





Hi everyone - Cassie sends her regrets. We had just gotten back from Alaska when a family crisis required her to fly to Virginia with her mother. She will be back next Tuesday but, unfortunately, we have to fly to Chicago on Wednesday morning. My 86 year old aunt passed away recently. We have been taking care of her and paying all of her bills for the last couple years. She follows her brother, my dad, who passed away in April at the age of 88. It has been a tough year and I'm not sure I could have handled all of this without the support of Cass. She is a damn fine lady and has been wonderful to me. I am a very lucky person.


Anyway, I know she wants to fill you in our trip but let me spill the beans a little bit. We had a blast! If you have never gone to Alaska, go! If you have dreamed about going to Alaska, go! When Cass and I went for the first time in June 2004, she fought me tooth and nail. This is a lady who was born and raised in Miami. She had no interest in going to Alaska. I finally convinced her to go for 16 days. She was mad and not to happy with me. However, on our second or third day there, she looked at me and said "Can we move here?".


Again, my wife is amazing. We went with another couple, good friends of ours, who didn't commit until a week or so before we left. We (generic we that all Hub's use) had to shift into high gear. Cass went into overdrive and found all sorts of neat places for us to stay. The one that was over the top, though, was in Homer, Alaska. At the last minute, she found this place for us to stay. It is an old shrimper from the Gulf of Mexico that was brought to Alaska to help in the Valdez oil spill in 1989. After that, it fell into disuse and some guy bought it, renovated it and moved to a bluff about 1200 feet above the ocean. It has 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, living room, full kitchen, big screen tv with satellite and wireless internet. We stayed there for 3 nights. Only Cassie could find this. I wanted to post a picture of our view but can't figure out how to do that. Homer is a beautiful town and I encourage you to go and visit.


Okay, enough from me. This is Cass's blog and she just asked me to say that she will be back in action on Friday or Saturday.


The Hub




3 comments:

Susie Q said...

Well, you are a darlin' to let us all know this. I am so sorry about these rough things recently. We had one of those years in 2005. I will keep you all close in thought.
Please let Cassie know how much we all care.

My husband has been to Alaska with the military but we hope to take a cruise there in the next few years.
Everyone always says it is amazing!

I am so glad you had such a great time!

We all agree that Cassie is special but you must be as well...after all, she married ya right? : )

Give her our love!

Hugs,
Sue

Stacey said...

Thank you for being Cassie's stunt double while she is away. A great job too! My sympathies to you both at a difficult time. My prayers are with you both and hopes of smoother seas ahead.

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I've not been blogging as regularly as I usually do because of family visiting so I've kind of missed all this! Please tell Cassie that I'm thinking of her and hope all is well. Also, I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt. You and Cassie sound like wonderful people! Tell her I hope to hear from her very, very soon!
Kari