Monday, December 10

WONDER KITCHEN...If Anything's Cooking, It's A Wonder




So the sign that hangs over my kitchen sink reminds me...every. single. day. But, will that keep me from participating in the annual cookie exchange??? Hell to the NO! Here's the rules (as it's done here): you must bake 4 dozen cookies, putting one dozen on a smaller serving plate. These are for tasting. The rest should be displayed and prepared for judging by all the other cookie makers. There are 2 prizes, one for Best Tasting and one for Prettiest Display. Shocker...I didn't win either one. Then, after the judging is finished, everyone gets to pick and choose whatever they want to take home. Let's be kind and just say I had a lot of cookies left. But, just to be safe, I also made a batch of chocolate truffles and those taste great. Actually, I think our ancient oven has a lot to do with the cookies not turning out well...and for that matter, it's probably to blame for ALL of my bad meals. Harumph!


But...it was a good time to see friends at this time of year so lets get on the baking train and just see how it's done...




Just your basic Sugar Cookie Mix...what's that your mumbling? No, I didn't make them from scratch. Seriously, people. Didn't you read the sign?



Decorating is my favorite part. I did have some thoughts about buying already made cookies and just decorating, but I really wanted to play by the rules....







This is my favorite...



And, here they are all ready for judging. You see the darker cookies underneath? Since the oven was already in the cookie baking mode, I took a chance and made gingersnaps, too...which The Hub took right off of the cooling rack! He said they were pretty good...but, he only ate one....what does that tell you? ;)


The gingersnap thief in action...


And, lets not forget the chocolate truffles...


Here's the table....




Love that cool little red wheelbarrow with those elves...and the holly? That's what came from my Aunt & Uncle In Virginia...isn't it beautiful?




So, even though I wasn't the big weiner...I mean, winner...it was great to see everyone and wish everyone a Merry Merry! Now...go bake something!!

9 comments:

Janet said...

Today I baked peanut butter kisses, chocolate chip meringues and raspberry jam filled shortbread cookies. Tomorrow I will send most of them to Seattle, so that Bob doesn't eat them all. Fortunately I don't usually eat cookies, I prefer something with even more calories!!

Janet

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I will bake cookies this weekend with my Granddaughter. Mary

Sandi McBride said...

Our cookie exchange is on the 18th...have to make six dozen cookies...I am going to make my grandmother' Scot Shortbread...I love these things, then I set cookies out for everyone to eat...yummmm

Stacey said...

As a doll maker no one here sees any humor in my "high fiber" gingerbread men. They do smell very good baking though.

Hope the Season shines bright for you and your family Cassie~ and thank you for the gift of YOU!

Stacey

Andi said...

Pass the cookies please!!! I think they look great! You'd get my vote for sure. I just happen to be attending a cookie exchange next week. Thank heavens they aren't "judging" the cookies!

Love your sign!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Goodness! Wonder what the weiners made? I want those truffles!!!
My mom turned 80 last week...

Cape Cod Washashore said...

There's my pixie's brother! heehee That's ALOT of yummy cookies you've made!!! I love the "Noel" cookie, too!

Susie Q said...

Your table looks wonderful and those cookies! beautiful! Your decoration is amazing!
I LOVE the wheel barrow!! We always had elves like that for years...now my Mom has no idea where they went. *sigh*

Now, I wanna see RS pics! : )

Hugs,
Sue

Jodie Adams said...

Your cookies are beautiful, I wish I could do work like that.