Friday, June 27

Granite, Shmanite...I Just Don't Get It

This is the biggest decision making part of the kitchen, I think. Colors of the cabinets were pretty much determined by the big beams in the kitchen...that kind of sets the standard. So...that was pretty easy. Appliances...also easy, mainly because it doesn't really matter to me. My biggest issue, as we all know, was getting that copper sink. We did and the rest of it is not such a big deal...I can go along with just about anything.

But...we had to decide on color and "flow" of the granite. It's a piece of rock. I don't really care for granite. It's way too shiny for me. I wanted concrete counters...but it's like $100 a linear foot! Go figure...so I lost that one and granite it is. We went out to the granite place and chose something light-ish to kind of match the floor and, if possible, make the kitchen look bigger. Our kitchen is tiny, tiny, tiny....

So...that being explained...here's the granite....







After choosing, the template guy came out and measured everything and I had to go back the next day to decide where they will be making the cuts. They just tape it out and you can see what the actual counters will look like. And, the bathroom vanity will have a matching top, too.





And, at the last minute we got them to add a round tabletop piece for the small table that will be in the sit-in area across from the kitchen...

Now...just wait 10 business days and they will be ready to do the installation. We were really hoping that all would be done by July 4th...looks like we will miss that by a few days!!

I'm kinda excited about getting to the end of all of this so I can talk about something else...right??? Have a great weekend, wherever you are...!

7 comments:

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I'm not a huge fan of granite, either (what? are we the only two on the planet who don't like it? lol). Who'd a thunk concrete would so expensive, though? Wow! At least you've chosen a nice granite, as far as granite goes. (smile) We have granite countertops here. The best thing I can say about them is they hide messes really well. I don't think my little dishwashers (aka, my children) actually wiped a countertop clean for over month after we moved in before I finally caught on. lol)

Kari

Janet said...

I don't particularly care for it either..makes 3 of us now. I am re-doing my only full bath ( due to a leak and just bad aging) and Bob wants a granite top on the vanity. I will probably give in, but it will have to be pre-fab from Home Depot/Lowes because we are going to have this done while we are away. No time for special orders etc...really makes it much easier.

Tell me what to pack for my Alaska Cruise, please.

Janet

Sandi McBride said...

Okay, so I prefer ceramic tile to granite...anything to granite...granite is cold...cork floors and ceramic tiles for me...but the granite is pretty...be glad when your kitchen is done so you can cook us something fit to eat....
hugs
Sandi

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Now that it cool! I guess I never really thought about how the pieces were layed out.
It's beautiful!

Tara said...

Well, you needed to take your time here because once it's in, it's in adn it ain't coming out--I think it's going to look reat!

Susie Q said...

I never wanted granite either but gee Cassie...this piece is gorgeous! I would love anything right now except this laminate though! That granite would be great! : )
I know this kitchen and bath will be stunning! I look forward to seeing it all!

Love,
Sue

Andi said...

Wow...I don't get to visit for a while and you've completely remodeled the place!!!

I've been trying to catch up reading your prior posts Cassie. Your kitchen re-do looks amazing. I personally love granite and this looks wonderful!

I'll just have to check back more often!